Checking in ...

Well, I thought I would do a "check-in" to bring you up to date on how things are going with managing my "addictions." Alas, I do still spend some time during the week on the travel forums. The surgical precision with which I had hoped to move away from needing my travel forum fix, has not quite achieved the result I was aiming for. Lets face it ... it's a cold cruel winter up here right now. Put another way, I am not cut out for the "cold-turkey" approach to quitting ... anything.

So, I think I am now aiming for the "Harm reduction" approach, which involves finding safe ways to deal with addictive or potentially harmful activities. For instance, if you can't quit smoking, replace your strong cigs with a milder brand ... if you are going to drink alcohol, make sure someone else does the driving ... if you are going to have multiple sexual partners, make sure you use condoms .... etc. And if these addictions are getting in the way of living the life that you want to be living ... if you can't quit ... that's OK, just find ways to cut down.

Cutting down on travel forum activity is not as easy as it looks, because everytime I pass a computer, I want to check in. So, this is what I have done: effective immediately, I can no longer access these websites from work. A necessary action on my part anyway, before the boss finds out that I am not always working on case notes, assessments, reports, and preparing for the next client session! Next, I will NOT tune into the sites from my home computer on in the mornings. Morning PC is now officially just for checking e-mail ... OK ... and Facebook too, because, well there are so many long-lost family members on there, as well as far-away friends that I can't just let them fall by the wayside now that we have found each other again! But, other that that, PC is activity is now relegated to one hour in the evenings and on weekend mornings, as my special treat with my morning coffee.

Gosh, with all the time I save, I hope that I can actually work on earning some extra cash on the side to actually pay for all those trips to new destinations that I hope to get to one day ....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Tales Part I - Footwear is Always on My Mind

This is so Me!

Update from "Guarda La Yarda" - Nonna C's Canning Factory