Update from "Guarda La Yarda" - Nonna C's Canning Factory

Over the next few weeks I am hoping to clean up my blog, delete forever the blogs that I started but will never finish or even attempt to follow through, and finally learn how to post photos artistically and effectively. I am even toying with the idea of moving away from Blogger and going elsewhere to host my blog, as I move away from travel stories (interspersed with a few rants here and there) to a whole other set of themes.

In the meantime, I thought I would share a few photos from late summer in Guarda La Yarda. Like any self-respecting transplanted Italian, my mother, at age 82 and struggling with health issues, still insists on maintaining a vegetable and flower garden. In the fall, she and my father (who suffers from macular degeneration and insists that he is now completely blind, therefore unable to assist in chores) set up their makeshift factory in the garage, order a few bushels of field tomatoes to supplement the back-yard harvest (a necessity to them, since the kitchen garden is a mere shadow of what it used to be in the days before dad lost his eye-sight, and ultimately any interest in keeping a vegetable garden)from reliable (read Italian) source, and toil away to produce dozens upon dozens of jars of the freshest sauce imaginable. I always say I will never can my own tomatoes, but I must admit that the product that is lovingly housed in mamma's jars is far, far superior than anything to be found on store shelves .... even that passata that comes right from the Campania hills.











Comments

Anonymous said…
Please save me a jar! It looks amazing! So glad you're Mom and Dad are still able to do this! God Bless them!
Robin said…
My comment wasn't supposed to be "Anonymous"... it's from Robin!
Nichelina & Co said…
Robin - there's a nice big jar here with your name on it!
EllenLV said…
Wonderful pictures, they bring back memories of my mom canning and filling the basement shelves.
You are lucky to still have your folks, treasure them.
Thanks for the great post Jilly.
Ellen
Nichelina & Co said…
Thanks, Ellen. This time of year evokes a flood of memories for me too. I wish I has started capturing some of the autumn events on camera sooner. When I was a girl, canning season was followed by wine-maikeing season. Big production with grapes all the way from California. I don't even know where the wine press ended up. Maybe with my cousins up north ...

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Tales Part I - Footwear is Always on My Mind

This is so Me!