Travel Tales Part IV - The Karmic Kickback


There are benefits and drawbacks to travelling solo. Depending on where you are in your life-journey, sometimes your benefit IS your drawback. For example, you get to spend a lot of time with yourself - alone, with no distractions. So you had better have a good relationship with you. Lucky for me, I have been working on my relationship with me for a while. One of the pacts that I made with myself prior to leaving on my November trip was that I would try not to stress out over things that I could not control and to only plan enough of an itinerary to ensure that I got to where I was going safely. Then, I promised myself that I would leave the rest up to fate and simply go with the flow. This plan definitely worked out and I am so glad that I get along with me.

You see, in recounting this one, of many adventures that I experienced during my November excursion into the Caribbean, I left out one minor detail: The "lucky-seven" combo seemed to follow me around for about 24 hours = Seven strangers in a cab from the Piarco, Port-of-Spain, dinner at 7:00 p.m. in St. Anne's ... and here's the kicker ... the 7:20 a.m. flight from Port-of-Spain bound for Grenada left early. Yep, you guessed it ... it took off promptly at 7:00 a.m. No joke! Tripple Sevens indeed ... my St. Kitts ticket angel knew what she was talkin' about ... and breakfast in Trinidad simply was "not in the cards."


One last thought: the irony of the whole thing was that it was my mother's birthday on the 16th and I just wanted to get to my hotel early in the day, so that I could sit down and give her a call and have a bit of a chat with her, since I had forgotten to get her a gift or even a card before I left Toronto. I did manage to call her from Trinidad perhaps around 3:30 in the afternoon, or so. When I explained that I might be stranded in Port-of-Spain overnight, her response to me was "well at least it is not snowing there, so take out your credit card and get a nice room somewhere ... then go out and have a nice dinner ... I hear they make good curried goat in Trinidad, so why don't you order some for dinner and enjoy it for my birthday?" Funny thing, I hate goat. Guess what I had for dinner that night? And, I am happy to report, it was delicious!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Tales Part I - Footwear is Always on My Mind

This is so Me!

Update from "Guarda La Yarda" - Nonna C's Canning Factory